Saturday, January 12, 2013

Making Felt-and-Wood Saints


A couple of years ago there were several blogs posting ideas for making little saints out of felt and wooden "people pegs." I was very inspired even though I had no idea what Catechesis of the Good Shepherd was or how the little saints were being used. The simple faceless folks appealed to me, and I ordered beautiful felt and wool roving from Prairie Point Junction, and wooden figures from Casey's Wood Products. I made some Bible story figures, while my girls made the Narnia Pevensies.

I have pulled all my felts (including some el cheapo felt from the craft store) and wood out again to start making fresh figures for Sunday School. Unfortunately several blogs that originally inspired me are no longer available. I want to share with you how I have been making the figures as well as a couple of links still around.


I start both male and female figures with a wrap-around  "bodysuit" piece cut from a pattern found at Wee Folk Art. A pattern is included for the adult and child size. I have found that clear craft glue works fairly well for this step. I don't have a particular color scheme except blue and red for Mary, and white for Jesus (child and adult) and angels.

The next piece for the females is a cloak made from instructions at St. Thephan's Academy.
It is good to have a helper!
 A dog is not a good helper. Apparently the wooden people are irresistible.

I first glue a bit of wool roving to the "scalp," before I begin attaching the cloak. There are several ways you could fold the cloak in the back. To glue felt to felt, I have found hot glue guns work best.
The link for the pattern I used for the male cloak is no longer around, so I have improvised a bit. I take the pattern for the adult bodysuit and double the length. Then I cut out an "apron shape" and tie it on the figure over one "shoulder." I gave up on hair for the males. I really like my Zacharias figure with his hair and beard, but I had trouble with even clear glue drying like dandruff, and the hairstyles are less durable when played with.

I gave Zacharias a little incense and censer. He will probably make an appearance in the Child Jesus in the Temple presentation tomorrow. I really want to have some distinguishing marks for my 12 Apostles. I made a little bag shape with gray coins to glue on to Judas' black bodysuit. I may try and make keys for Peter and perhaps a St. Andrew's Cross to glue on St. Andrew's back. It is fun to play around with and experiment. I will post tomorrow with pictures from my Child Jesus in the Temple lesson.

1 comment:

  1. I just found your blog for the first time. :)

    I loved the little saint dolls that you made. They are adorable.

    ReplyDelete